Monday, February 11, 2013

Who do they look up to?

Who do the young kids of our generation have to look up to. How are our young boys taught to behave and how they should treat other people around them. Watching the Ted talk about how all to many of the main characters in so many kids movies and movies in general are some type of male figure who sometimes acts way too goofy and goes on an adventure to impress a female character at the end and everyone lives happily ever after. Then on to who the girls have to look up to. What I've seen is a female character or better described as a damsels in distress who more than likely has to rely on a male character. I would want my kids to know that there is more to life then what movies and media seem to think. Just because you're a boy doesn't mean you have to always impress the ladies and just because you're a girl doesn't mean you have to rely on a male to come to your rescue, you can stand up for yourself.   


4 comments:

  1. I loved this Ted Talk video. I never thought much about what these movies can mean to little kids. But it's quite obvious, isn't it? Children look up to their favorite superhero or princess. But what kind of message is the movie really sending to their viewers? I think girls need to be in more important roles other than just being a love interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that I would want my daughters not to feel as if they must rely on a man throughout their life and that they are not capable of providing for themselves. It's important to be independent, confident, and have pride in oneself in order to live happily, or contently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you said that last sentence really well. That just because you are a guy doesn't mean you have to impress the ladies and just because you are a girl doesn't mean you have to rely on guys. I think that this is the message we should be sending in our movies because people definitely do the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you. Our society today perceives male characters as the dominant character and female characters as the helpless character. I think that cartoons shouldn't be sexist and instead promote the idea of standing up for yourself!

    ReplyDelete