I
thought for this mini project I would criticize and evaluate some of the female
role models I have in my life through my choice of music. Not even realizing
how I don’t really see most of the artist as role models, but have still
influenced me in one way or another. I took the Song titles of all the songs on
my phone that were made by female artist and created a word cloud. I noticed
that many of the words were very contradictory of one another. Some were very
strong and sex driven, while others were more nurturing. Well maybe subconsciously I chose these songs
by these women because I want to be able to posses each of these specific
characteristics and use any of them all at once or individually at any given
time. The three main reasons for admiring a role model were: (1) dedication;
(2) popular image; and (3) ability. ( Antonia Ivaldi) I think that some of
these characteristics aren't ideal for every female to want or obtain so then
there becomes the problem with the quality of that person or trait they tend to
show the most. James R. Briscoe has done research that shows some qualitative
considerations are also raised, centering around the changing roles and images
of the female pop music artist. I don't see a real problem with the songs or what they might represent. Some people just want something different. “Young
women are looking for a more culturally diverse, less sex-role stereotyped
reflection [of themselves]."5(Sheila Whiteley)I think that this could be
true for some people, but I think that many young women are looking for
characteristics that they want to have, or that they do have but don’t feel comfortable
enough to show it all the time or in front of certain people.
·

I love the idea of a word cloud. It's almost symbolic of the characteristics we focus on more than others with the role models we choose to regard.
ReplyDeleteI like how you integrated sources into the response. The word cloud is a good idea because it shows both sides and what is seen by society.
ReplyDelete