Monday, April 8, 2013

Mini Project 2: Photo Essay

Link to Photo Essay: http://qsmall1.wix.com/rolemodels



Society has been calling for more positive female role models for a very long time. I think that there are plenty of role models for females of all ages, but they aren't always presented in the best way. I think that many people see things as just being black and white, no in between. Well that’s not the case. Many females in the public media are portrayed in a certain way, but that isn't all there is to them.  I don’t see the perfect role model. There isn't one person who has every quality for everyone so of course people have their ideas of just positive role models. I tried to think otherwise and show some popular women in society that have more to them than what the majority of people know them for. For example Miranda Kerr is a Victoria secret model. What is the most obvious thing about models; they’re known for their looks and their bodies which many women strive to obtain, maybe not in healthiest way. One side of Miranda Kerr that most probably don’t know is that she studied nutrition in college. I think that the media purposefully shows and hides certain aspects of popular to keep certain topics in the spotlight. Well, where does that leave us young females who might only see the one side of these females? Should it really be our job to have to do a background check on who we want to be our role models? Who’s really responsible for the role models we choose?
The bottom line is that our society needs to realize that our role models can lead to self-enhancement
And inspiration under some circumstances and to self deflation and demoralization under others. In still other circumstances, they are expected to have no effect at all on young women. Just know that any of these females can have all of these affects, it just depends on the person. 

3 comments:

  1. I like your topic and I agree with you about it also. I think that part of the problem is that media sometimes doesn't go into what others peoples interest are. I think there are probably people that we think are bad role models, but are really good people that have many other interest besides what they are famous for. The one example that I can think of where somebody is famous for something, but they also have other interest is Arian Foster. He is a NFL player, but in his spare time he is studying quantum mechanics. This is just one example, and I'm sure there are many out there of different people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that masking certain aspects of a person to keep them in the spotlight has largely taken over the individuals in the media. It's a shame that society is not given the entire story about people before we are led to judge them a certain way based purely on the information we are purposely given. Perception is very important when picking a role model as well as research!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you mentioned certain people in this one. I like the photo essay. It's a good idea I think that we should be given the full story.

    ReplyDelete