Sunday, April 28, 2013

Themes in our Music choices as Young Women: Found Poem

It's like screamin' but no one can hear
And in the dark, in these final hours
I want you to stay

Now it's just you and me
My body
take me , make me
I want you to stay

You almost feel ashamed that someone could be that important
Cause I can't make you love me if you don't
I'm supposed to be in love
But I'm numb again
I want you to stay

I can't deny it, I want you, I want you
Right til the end
Boy you should know that your love is always on my mind
And I will feel the power but you won't
I want you to stay

No one will ever understand how much it hurts
The reason I hold on
It's the way I'm feeling I just can't deny
I want you to stay

But tonight I'm gonna find a way to make it without you
Cause I cant make you love me
And that's just the half of it.





For the final project I decided to focus on the female role models in music again. I took the idea of song titles but this time I decided to take a look at the lyrics. Only this time I used more than just myself. I asked a few of my closest friends what their favorite song is by a female artist. I took all of the songs and made a found poem from the lyrics.  The top artist we all picked was Rihanna, Alicia Keys, and Adele. All of the songs that were chosen were very suggestive of relationship problems, or dealt with the idea of love or being without love. “The world we concoct instead has no place in it for such commonplace observations as that: sexual behavior has to do with courtship, desire, love, jealousy, marriage.” (Silvia Knobloch)  Does this show that who we look up to in music is saying that these are the most important things for us as females to be concerned with?  The songs we listen to day in and day out are telling us to focus on some important things, but maybe not the most important things we need to focus on. “A phenomenon not readily explained by a straightforward application of mood management theory is the extraordinary popularity of sad and seemingly depressive love songs. Love and romance are unquestionably dominant.” ( Dolf Zillmann) Is this what we as a culture have sculpted our female artist to do? Are they just expected to sing about love, or the lack of love in their lives just because that’s what we expect? I think its more than that. I think that it is what most of the females my age can relate to. We are at this pivotal point in our lives. Searching for ourselves and where we belong; Longing for love that exists outside of our families.  They are catering to what we think our needs are. Maybe we are more of role models for them because they have to make music regarding what we want and what we like.  If we started caring more about different things as a culture instead of love there would be a change in the types of music produced.




Works Cited

  • aaron , ridley . <http://books.google.com/books?id=SlKKL46XdgQC&pg=PA5&lpg=PA5&dq=The world we concoct instead has no place in it for such commonplace observations as that: sexual behaviour has to do with courtship, desire, love, jealousy, marriage&source=bl&ots=Nyxk8goebM&sig=0za2WAY8muW7roOB2t04t6v9Fqc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=yeV9Ub36JYq08QTS74B4&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAA

6 comments:

  1. Quen, I really like this project! I have not seen a found poem yet, I like how you dug deeper with this last project. This really shows your interest in the topic

    ReplyDelete
  2. This topic was really interesting and I found it very deep. I never thought of the idea that we, as teenage girls, are the ones the artist are inspired by to make their music. It was cool to think maybe we are capable of changing the stories of what they sing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quen, THIS IS AMAZING !!!!!!!!! LIKE OH MY GAWSH !!!!! (ok unproffessional) but in all seriousness I think this is so creative and amazing and it literally just wows me. Its so well thought out and I can tell you worked hard with your craft to create something that not only sounded good but also had a meaning and a theme. I love it and I love your theme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this, I could relate closely to it, for personal reasons and I recognized the songs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting... I find this final blog quite SPECTACULAR because this topic is VERY true, well at least your point made is, and I feel like you spoke for many female. What never occurred to me was the message so many female artist sing about. Go way to point that out!

    -SAN

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea on doing a found poem for this topic, it fits in so perfectly. Really interesting to read because I've never thought about what the theme seems to be for female artists and how love and relationships in songs reflect back to society.

    ReplyDelete